Saturday, October 25, 2008

NCScoop's NC State Fair Adventure!



Earlier this week, I had to do my annual ritual of going to the North Carolina State Fair on their can donation day. Usually, its one of the most crowded days out of the fair, but it really didn't feel as crowded as it usually does. I'll blame the economy for that. The fair was actually more pleasant for me with less people there; less elbow bumping and crowd swimming! It could be one of my best fair experiences to date!

Anyway, the fair had all the usual rides, vendors, and concessions... but some concessions received some new goodies I had never seen before there. Two of the things I sampled while there were the fried mac and cheese - which was rather bland and boring tasting - and the fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich; that was the real winner! If you only limit yourself to one fried delicacy, you should definitely make the fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich your pick!

Food within the fair ranged in price. If you're an avid hunter for the cheapest dishes, than just be patient and you'll find the stuff you're looking for that is almost affordable. Its a fair though, so you can't expect finding a dollar hotdog anyway. As for the rides... they were overpriced, as usual. I really think that they should continue doing the $25 unlimited ride pass for next year, but expand it to the ENTIRE duration of the fair instead of only on the preview day.

With each year I get older, the more and more I like the Village of Yesteryear. All of the craftsmanship vendors, olden-day North Carolina living, a peaceful garden area, and free hush puppies at the mill -- there's no wonder that this place is growing on me! Definitely make sure to check out the Village of Yesteryear when you make it to the fair.

Be sure to go to the fair soon though, since this coming Sunday on October 26th will mark the last day of the 2008 North Carolina State Fair.

You may have heard the music pieced into the video adventure. The band is named Grand Piano Falling and they are a local alternative rock band right out of Raleigh! I've been fans of theirs for nearly three years now and I definitely suggest for you all to give them a listen!

No comments: